College

College
College. It's not for wimps.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Party...Party...Party....Free!


To all my dear  and wonderful friends, to the friends of my friends...the many friends of my kids...friends of my kid's friends....and friends of the friends of my friend's friends! I want to address the subject of sales parties: I have something to announce:  I have decided to channel Nancy Reagan......... and just say NO! Decades of parties have left me a little less than enthusiastic about all the invites....I still receive them all the time and I have sooooo been there and soooooo done that...starting from back in the early 80's until now and I am just partied out.... I have been Tupperwared, Mary Kayed, Wiltoned, Longabergered, Kirbyed, Home Interiored, FullerBrushed, Adoraed, Partylited, Avoned, Petraed, Home Decored, Pampered Chefed, Willowhoused, Athenaed, Amwayed to the point of exhaustion. I have heard "You don't have to buy anything....just come (and bring somebody!)" so many times my head hurts. I mean of course you don't just want me to come....and not buy something...let's be real.: You want that $40 gift certificate, the 30% discount or the limited edition hostess gift based on your sales...of couse you do...I know I would! It's amazing that most of my friends have been or are in the home or online party/marketing business at one time or another, I have hosted more parties than I can remember, got the hosting gifts, and tried to find spaces and places to store all the baskets, baubles and products that have come and gone.
("Host a party for me! You know EVERYBODY!) Nobody has ever been able to talk me into being in this business because I am a lousy salesperson and I can't see myself asking everyone I know to come over and look at the exciting new product/business I've discovered. I admire those that can.... and appreciate and celebrate the success as they get their pink cars, win vacations, become tier 2 distributors and go to conventions in Hawaii. It's just not me. Now having gone through every alliteration of the home party over the last 3 decades... I really, really really, don't need another container, necklace, dish or thong..I don't have room in my junk drawer for another plastic door prize...(I have 7 of those little things you screw into oranges to drink the juice...anybody need one?)..I have been invited to 7 Lea Sophia parties just over the summer. (Lea must be having a great year!) It's pretty stuff....but right now...I have decided to release myself from the guilt of showing up and looking for the least intrusive and expensive item in the back of the book. Freedom is a wonderful thing. Perhaps now that all us baby boomers have gotten older... there will be parties for good vitamins, arthritis medications, designer adult diapers, pressure socks, longer lasting hair dyes, and large print books...if so....I may reconsider! I love you all and wish you the best and if you want to invite me over for a drink and a good laugh... I will bring a bottle and snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment